In less than a week there will be the biggest football game of the year and many of you still wonder what they will prepare for their guests to make this evening more memorable. So I decided to reveal to you my beef brisket recipe, so that you too could make your guests drool.
- 1 whole beef breast of about 12 pounds
- Your favorite steak spice, here BBQ Quebec’s MTL spice
- 1 liter of beef broth
- 1/2 cup of soy sauce
- 1/2 cup of Worcestershire sauce
- Wood chips or wood chunks
- Chips tray
- Injection syringe
- Ribalizer Rib Rack
- Recommended Wood: Cherry, Hickory, Apple
Start your recipe with an entire beef breast, commonly known as “beef brisket” of about 12 pounds. A beef breast usually weighs between 10 and 16 pounds, its weight will only influence the cooking time. If you have a piece of 4-6 pounds, it is probably the tip of your chest. This is the part used to make smoked meat. The “brisket” meanwhile, has two parts of the chest: the tip and the rest (separated by a layer of fat). If the final result of the whole “brisket” is correct, these two muscles will come off very easily from one another.
The beef brisket is not bad to smoke alone, but you have to be very careful that it does not dry up. That’s why the injection is even more important, and using a rib-like carrier like Ribalizer will help tremendously. For a juicier result, cook the whole breast.
Start by mixing the beef broth, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce, then inject your breasts with the mixture, pricking well in the center of the meat. Each square inch of meat is injected so that all the meat is saturated with flavor and juice.
Once all well injected, coat your meat with your favorite beef spices. For my part, I use MTL spices BBQ Quebec, designed for smoked meat and steaks. Then, just cover the piece with plastic wrap and let it marinate for 2 to 4 hours. The piece being huge, you will not dehydrate your meat, the dry marinade will only create a crust that will help retain the juice.
Smoker: Preheat your smoker to 250 ° F. Place your beef breast in indirect cooking and cook for about 5 hours, until you reach an internal temperature of 160 ° F or until you can see the desired crust (“bark!”) . Once this internal temperature is reached, you can leave your beef breast in the same place and let it cook for another 3 to 5 hours (depending on the weight of the “brisket”). The most important is to reach an internal temperature of 195 ° F minimum in the meat. If you are in a hurry or do not want to finish with a possibly dry beef breast, wrap it in aluminum foil as soon as it reaches 160 ° F. In this way, the “brisket” will continue to cook and bathe in a high humidity, leaving you more room to maneuver. Again in aluminum foil, a minimum of 195 ° F must be achieved, or until the thermometer enters the meat as in butter.
Gas BBQ: Place your beef breast in the Ribalizer, the perfect accessory to turn your traditional BBQ into a powerful smoker. I recommend to put beef broth or beer in the bottom of the Ribalizer’s aluminum dish, which will increase the moisture content in the BBQ and prevent the meat juice from collecting it from burning. leave a bitter taste. Preheat your BBQ to 300 ° F, place your wood shavings in a chip tray in the BBQ, and wait for smoke to escape. Once the smoke is in place, place your Ribalizer (with the “brisket”) in the BBQ and close the lid. Allow to smoke for 2 to 3 hours, refilling wood chips as needed. Once the meat temperature reaches 160 ° F, place the Ribalizer lid over it and close the BBQ. Continue cooking to reach 195 ° F, and remember: the cooking thermometer must penetrate the meat as in butter!
Once the meat is well cooked, let stand in a dish or foil for at least an hour. The meat will continue to cook a little, the collagen will melt and make your beef breasts softer and even juicier.
Some tips for a perfect “brisket”:
- Cook with the fat side down! The fat will protect your piece of meat from excess heat during cooking, while making a final result much more beautiful.
- You can work your “brisket” to remove excess fat on the surface, so do not remove too much because it will lubricate the chest during cooking. Removing fat on the surface allows for more meat in contact with spices, fat covered with spices will eventually sink to the bottom of the BBQ and will not give flavor.
- Make sure you have enough coal or gas! Cooking the whole beef breast is very long, sometimes up to 12 hours, so you will be very sad if you run out of fuel before it is ready.
- You can cook it between 225 ° F and 325 ° F. The lower the temperature, the more moisture will remain in the meat and the longer it takes to cook.
- Once the meat is well rested, you can brush it with spicy BBQ sauce and enhance it!
- The injection makes it possible to marinate the meat without waiting. If you do not have a syringe, marinate the meat for at least 24 hours with the marinade.
Have a great BBQ!
Written by Jean-Philippe Lavoie